Friday, December 2, 2011

Connecticut So Far


So if you don’t know, I’m in Connecticut right now. It’s so pretty! The flight was uber long, but I slept most of the way. I haven’t gotten a lot of sleep this past week and I made up for it all on the flight and then when we arrived. We had a 4-hour flight to Atlanta, ran to our next flight and then flew another 2-hours into Boston, MA. Somehow I was still tired after all of that and fell asleep for the almost 2-hour drive from the airport to Ling’s house. I was awake for some of it, experienced toll roads and we drove through a tunnel that ran under the ocean. That was pretty cool =] There was also a grocery store that went over the highway and lots of trees.

When we got to the house, I woke up and got out. The first thing I did was look up and I was staring up at so many starts shining brightly back at me. I didn’t even have to look to find the big dipper, little dipper, and more constellations. They were all there. At ling’s house there are no street lights or house lights really to block the stars from shining, unlike at home where I can hardly ever see the stars due to city lights. I can’t get over how amazing that was =]

After all that sleeping, I didn’t think I could sleep more, but I slept for 8 more hours. When I got up, Ling’s mom was making a Thanksgiving feast (This was for Ling since she wasn’t home for Thanksgiving) All of it was so good! They had Turkey, steamed potatoes, steamed butternut squash, steamed broccoli, turkey gravy from giblets, home made stuffing, and apple pie. I was in Heaven =]

Ling and I went around town after that. She took me to the farm she used to work at and it was awesome =] I met the O’Leary’s and they started the farm, they were this old couple and the best old couple ever. The husband was so happy we came, said we made his afternoon. It reminded me of the old guys that call my tech support because they need someone to talk to. It was cute =] After that she took me to the milking area and I got to see cows get milked. That was a totally new experience for me and the cows were so nice! It was a great educational experience.

After the milking area, Ling took me to the creamery, which had ice cream, but we didn’t get any then. We met Kristen, the owner of the farm now. She was pulling lavender to sell for cooking. I love cooking with lavender so we had a ton to talk about. It was all so awesome. Bauman farms will never be the same again. The last thing we did was go around downtown Putnam. It was a quaint little are and it was all old and antique. We went into an antique store that had a corny little famous people museum of things found in movies. Don’t know how authentic it all was, but it was still fun. The whole place is so pretty.

I guess the whole area is called New England, and New England is known for Steeples and stone walls. I think they look pretty. There are nice trees all over the place and lots of random lakes and swamps. The intersections are all wonky, but fun. It’s a small town if I ever saw one and it’s adorable. Due to it being New England, I had to have New England Clam Chowder. It was really good. We went to a nice restaurant called, My Brother’s Place and the waitress had the most amazing accent. Oh the accents! When people hear I’m from Oregon, it’s funny to hear how they pronounce it. Makes me laugh every time.

Last but not least so far, we had Thompson’s House of Pizza tonight. Ling had been raving about this place all week and everyone I know says I have to get the pizza while I’m here. It really was as amazing as they all said. They give you real Italian sausage slices instead of crumbles, and the cheese is somehow different but amazing. It was really good.

A lot of the things here have been the same has back home, but some fun differences: They still have Dunkin Donuts here, they have “grinders”, sprinkles for ice cream are called jimmies, and water fountains are bubblers.

I need to get some sleep; I’m going to see my cousins and my great aunt Shirley tomorrow. I’m so excited!!

2 comments:

  1. They have a TON MORE Dunkin Donuts there than here, don't they? It's like their Starbucks I think! lol and just so you know, 6 states from Maine to CT (not NY) are known as New England. ;) Glad you are having so much fun! Look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur "blawg" is reelly cool! it's neat ta hear someone talk about my home state LOL. I'm glad you had a good time. Thanks for coming to visit with me! And yeah I am definitely glad I'm back in OreGONE (for now!) :)

    ReplyDelete